Link4Growth Forum Guidelines

Thread: First Raspberry Pi computers to be delivered

First Raspberry Pi computers to be delivered

This sounds like a really interesting scheme; I'm sure that it will encourage children to take a real interest in technology: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17703852.

I wonder if they're available to us oldies?
    Nigel Cook
    independent marketing support
    01799 551117 / 07796 990600

Hi Nigel... yes it's a bit like the Worldwide programme to get every child a computer and connection to the Internet... A world of possibilities... this one is bit like the original BBC computer but a zillion times more powerful... I think it will definitely give those that want to learn programming a great start... I've been programming for decades... not going back there right now!! Only perhaps on an advisory capacity!

Blog Entries
    16 for a computer eh.

Will look a little further into this before leaving a comment. Article kind of explains it but want to find out more!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisogle View Post
    Hi Nigel... yes it's a bit like the Worldwide programme to get every child a computer and connection to the Internet... A world of possibilities... this one is bit like the original BBC computer but a zillion times more powerful... I think it will definitely give those that want to learn programming a great start... I've been programming for decades... not going back there right now!! Only perhaps on an advisory capacity!
    I have been keeping my eye on this potentially watershed case for a while. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

http://mashable.com/2012/04/16/googl...-trial-begins/

...as a programmer yourself Chris, I am sure you will have some thoughts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus View Post
    I have been keeping my eye on this potentially watershed case for a while. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

http://mashable.com/2012/04/16/googl...-trial-begins/

...as a programmer yourself Chris, I am sure you will have some thoughts
    Crikey.

I hear about things like this all the time, will watch with interest how that pans out.

I just bought the PI Nigel....10 weeks wait for delivery

Cost me 45 including power source and SD Card...

I'll let you know how it pans out.
    Last edited by marcus; 26-06-2012 at 06:56 PM.

I finally got my Pi about 2 weeks ago Nigel. So it took about 3 months to deliver.

I had to then invest in a HDMI DVI cable, which cost another 2 and a few more days in the jungle, aka Amazon.

Then I set it up the other day and its pretty neat. I haven't really done anything with it yet, but I guess my main options are:

1) Using it as an alternative to a laptop...but then I'd be depending on a third party screen when I was out and about
    2) Using it as a thin client
    3) Buying a few more and creating some serious processing power

or I guess just using it as a system in itself....I haven't really looked at that yet

Overall though, a nice way to get a PC for 50, and if either my Desktop or Laptop pack in, then I have a back up.
    The only thing that annoys me so far is the difficulty in getting a good case for it.

What about programming etc? Are you tempted to get coding? If i had the time i would love to have a go, for me anyway, its a solution looking for a problem at the moment

Yup coding is very interesting Seb.

I got bogged down in PHP and Java, messed around with IDE's, (which are quite cumbersome), before settling on learning Ruby with the help of Gedit.

That's the beauty of Linux...everything is just so much more simple really; you just tweak Gedit a bit, fire up the terminal, (bash or whatever), install RVM, IRB, gems etc, and that's a working programming environment.

I'd be happy to talk about the process more if you are looking for pointers. If you want experienced help, Chris is a bona fide programmer.
    Last edited by marcus; 29-10-2012 at 08:05 PM.